Running head: SONA ALTERNATIVE SUMMARY PAPER INSTRUCTIONS 1
ARTICLE SUMMARY INSTRUCTIONS 2
SONA ALTERNATIVE ASSIGNMENT
Article Summary Paper Instructions (10 points possible)
Ryan J. Winter
Florida International University
This assignment is an alternative to the SONA Participation Assignments (1 and 2). You must complete this assignment if you are unbale or choose not to participate in research. There are two required SONA participation assignments to complete this semester, so you must complete two of these alternative assignments total, one due when SONA Participation Assignment 1 is due, and the second due when SONA participation assignment 2 is due (see canvas for specific due dates).
Each paper must focus on a different article to summarize (see canvas for a list of articles to choose from), and you must choose from the articles that we have listed in Canvas.
Article Summary Paper 10 possible)
Please follow the instructions and guidelines below. If you are unclear about any of this information, please ask.
What is a summary paper?
This paper will require you to read and summarize the major elements of an empirical research paper. I suggest also looking at the example papers, which will give you a nice visual image of APA style that you can mimic in your own paper.
This summary paper will include the following things:
1. Title page: 1 page (.5 points)
· Use APA style to present the appropriate information:
· A Running head must be included and formatted APA style
· The phrase “Running head” is at the top of the title page followed by a short title of your creation (no more than 50 characters) that is in ALL CAPS. This running head is left-justified (flush left on the page). Note that the “h” in head is all lower case! Look at the first page of these instructions, and you will see how to set up your Running head.
· There must be a page number on the title page that is right justified. It is included in the header
· Your paper title appears on the title page. This is usually 12 words or less, and the first letter of each word is capitalized. It should be descriptive of the paper (For this paper, you should use the title of the article you are critiquing. The paper title can be the same title as in the Running head or it can differ – your choice)
· Your name will appear on the title page
· Your institution will appear on the title page as well
· For all papers, make sure to double-space EVERYTHING and use Times New Roman font. This includes everything from the title page through the references.
· This is standard APA format. ALL of your future papers will include a similar title page
2. Summary of the Article: 1 ½ page minimum, 3 pages maximum – 8)
An article summary should briefly summarize, in your own words, the article research question and how it was addressed in the article. Below are some things to include in your summary.
· The summary itself will include the following: (Note – if the article involved more than one experiment, you can either choose to focus on one of the studies specifically or summarize the general design for all of the studies)
1. Description of the overall purpose of the study (this can be as little as one sentence, and no more than 2 sentences)
2. Type of study (Was it experimental or correlational? How do you know?)
1. What were the independent and dependent variables? Be specific with these. Define the terms independent and dependent variable and make sure to identify how they are operationally defined in the article)
The post An article summary should briefly summarize, in your own words, the article research question and how it was addressed in the article. Below are some things to include in your summary. appeared first on homeworkhandlers.com.
The post An article summary should briefly summarize, in your own words, the article research question and how it was addressed in the article. Below are some things to include in your summary. appeared first on nursing writers.