Whether you’re planning a stag or hen party, a big night out, a full-on party weekend or just want to know where you can go to maximise your chances of finding a holiday romance, look no further.
Holidaying can be tough for singles, particularly if travelling alone. And if you’ve ever got the feeling that you were all alone out there, you might actually be right. The American Community Survey by the US Census Bureau actually shows that in some cities, men outweigh woman by as many as 90,000 and women outweigh by men sometimes by as much as 200,000! So if you’re looking for a cheap holiday with a side-helping of romance, you might want to bear these cities in mind.
The top ten US cities for single men on cheap holidays:
1) New York
3) New Orleans
6) El Paso
9) Los Angeles
The top ten US cities for single women on cheap holidays:
1) Santa Ana
2) Las Vegas
8) San Diego
9) Salt Lake City
Do, of course, bear in mind that while you’re statistically raising your chances, choosing one of these cities does not guarantee meeting somebody. In this case, bear these points in mind:
1) When choosing a hotel, choose one in a lively, accessible area. Hostels are cheap and most people staying in them are young, single and looking to have fun and party.
2) Choose a city with a good night life and one that matches your interests. Don’t go to cities famed for their art and architecture if what you really want to do is scope out some new restaurants or go clubbing.
3) Put yourself out there. Talk to new people. Don’t take things too seriously. If you get shot down or make a fool of yourself, learn to shrug it off and laugh rather than taking it personally.
4) …But don’t put yourself in danger. Remain in public spaces and always inform your friends of what you’re doing. Trust your gut instincts and don’t engage in behaviour that could make you overly vulnerable, such as excessive drinking.
5) Be confident and have fun. Confidence is again and again voted as one of the sexiest traits in both men and women. Neediness and desperation are not attractive, although nervousness can be endearing. While you can ‘fake it till you make it’, if you don’t think you can pull it off, sometimes it’s just better to admit you’re a little nervous and give your conversation partner a small compliment along with it. Everybody likes a little ego stroking!